After holding the GeekWire Awards virtually for the past two years, there was a sense of true catharsis Thursday night as hundreds of people streamed through the doors of the Showbox Sodo in Seattle for our annual celebration of the top tech startups, leaders and leaders. of the Pacific Northwest. innovations
For the 2022 GeekWire Awards finalists, recognition on the superhero-themed show came with the added bonus of knowing that their companies overcame a period of unprecedented challenge and change.
But the week also brought a new sense of uncertainty about what is to come.
Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi’s widely quoted memo on Monday was a flashpoint for the tech industry, adding to existing concerns by warning of a “seismic shift” in markets, signaling that harder and tighter times lie ahead. Some of the startup CEOs who attended acknowledged reading his message carefully.
So we took our cues from the backdrop, literally and figuratively, and pulled tech leaders to the side at the event to ask questions like:
- What is your opinion on the possibility of new economic realities?
- What are your biggest challenges and priorities for the rest of the year?
- And of course: which superhero best reflects the spirit of your company?
The result was a glimpse into the collective psyche of the tech community at a key US innovation hub, at a pivotal time for the country and the world.
Guests on this episode, in order of appearance:
- xiao wangCEO of Boundless Immigration, finalist for CEO of the year.
- Maria Karaivanova, co-founder and COO of WhyLabs.
- Varun Puri, co-founder of Yoodli, winner of Young Entrepreneur of the Year with his co-founder Esha Joshi.
- Lisa GurryCOO of Truveta, winner of Healthcare Innovation of the Year.
- DaveCotter, Chief Product Officer for Leafly and President of the Washington Technology Industry Association, sponsor of the Public Policy Champion for Innovation Award.
- laura rodrmanCEO of the Technological Alliance.
- david kirtleyfounder and CEO of Helion, Innovation of the Year finalist.
- Stephanie Winslow, Teacher, South Kitsap High School, one of three STEM Educators of the Year.
- grant goodaleaircraft carrier experience officer, Convoy, previous winner of Next Tech Titan.
- Mo Bhendeco-founder and CEO of Karat, Next Tech Titan finalist.
- Faisal Masud, Fabric CEO, Next Tech Titan finalist.
- kiana breadPresident of CodingDojo, honoree in the Geeks Give Back category.
- tushargarg, CEO of Flyhomes, finalist for Workplace of the Year.
- byron Baker, Lead Designer at Blink UX, Judge for UX Design of the Year.
Listen above or subscribe to GeekWire on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, or wherever you listen.
Read about all the GeekWire Awards finalists and winners in our special coverage.
Thanks to the tech leaders who answered our questions, the GeekWire Awards attendees, finalists and sponsors, and our social media partner. Jordan Curtis of Line Leader Media for their help with this episode.
GeekWire Awards Opening Performance: Robert McPhersonthe drunken tenor