UFC boss makes shocking confession about hiring Paul

The UFC is no stranger to signing non-mixed martial arts (MMA) athletes, and could consider bringing in another.

After successfully making waves in boxing, Jake Paul sets his sights on the UFC.

The YouTuber wants to fight for the famed MMA promotion as part of his effort to push for salary increases and healthcare for UFC fighters.

In the process, Paul called out former UFC two-division champion Conor McGregor. However, UFC president Dana White was not interested in the idea and shut it down entirely.

For White, “The Problem Child” surely has a market in the industry, but the UFC just isn’t the platform for what it has to offer.


Jake Paul celebrates with his brother, Logan, after defeating AnEsonGib
Jake Paul celebrates with his brother, Logan, after defeating AnEsonGib
Photo: Getty Images | miguel reaves

That has been the narrative until White himself recently confessed that he sometimes thinks signing Paul is “scheming.”

“At the end of the day, the kid wants to fight here,” White said of Paul on The Pivot Podcast. “He doesn’t want to fight here because he doesn’t think we pay guys. He wants to fight here because this is where the money is, no matter what he says. I would never say never. I don’t know, I mean, I watch it sometimes. And it’s a little intriguing, but it goes against what I do.”

The 52-year-old also acknowledged that in the past, the UFC has brought in celebrities and pro wrestling stars.

Hence, he even participated in the promotion of the crossover fight between Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor in 2017.

So White suggesting Paul joining the UFC is no different and could now be a possibility.

“I really bring the best of the best,” the UFC boss explained. “I’ve tried to do a couple of those celebrity things with some WWE guys. Some worked. Some did not. But I wouldn’t say no. I did Mayweather/McGregor when I said I never would.”

As it is, Paul is currently linked to two of the biggest names in the UFC: McGregor and current pound-for-pound king Kamaru Usman.

The internet star has previously called “The Notorious” in the past and they crossed paths once again on social media after the recent feud between Katie Taylor and Amanda Serrano.

Usman, on the other hand, has had a tug-of-war with undisputed boxing champion Saúl “Canelo” Álvarez.

Paul then stepped in and mocked Usman and the pair trolled each other on Twitter.


UFC president Dana White says the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas will be operating at full capacity for the July 10 fight between Conor McGregor and Dustin Poirier.
UFC president Dana White says the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas will be operating at full capacity for the July 10 fight between Conor McGregor and Dustin Poirier.
Photo: GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA / Ethan Miller

Leave a Comment