The writer who accused Trump of rape in the 1990s filed a new lawsuit

A writer who accused former President Donald Trump of rape filed an enhanced lawsuit against him in New York on Thursday, minutes after a new state law allowing sexual assault victims to sue for decades-old assaults took effect.

E. Jean Carroll’s attorney filed legal documents electronically because the Adult Survivors Act temporarily lifted the state’s usual time limits for sexual assault lawsuits. He sought unspecified compensatory and punitive damages for pain and suffering, psychological damages, loss of dignity and reputation.

Carroll, a longtime Elle magazine advice columnist, first said in a 2019 book that Trump molested her in the dressing room of a luxury department store in Manhattan in 1995 or 1996.

Trump responded to the book’s claims by saying it could never have happened because Carroll was “not my type.”

Carroll filed a defamation suit against him, he said, but that was dismissed in the appeals courts as judges decided whether he was immune from legal claims for comments he made while president.

Previously, Carroll was barred by state law from filing a lawsuit over the alleged rape because so many years had passed since the incident.

Carroll claimed in a 2019 book that Trump molested her in a dressing room at a Manhattan department store in 1995 or 1996. Trump responded to the book’s claims that it could never have happened because Carroll “wasn’t my type.” (Ben Gray/The Associated Press)

A new New York law gives sex crime victims who miss statute of limitations a second chance to file a lawsuit. The window for such suits will be open for one year, after which the usual time limits will resume.

More lawsuits are expected under the new law

At least hundreds of lawsuits are expected, including from women who say they were assaulted by co-workers, prison guards, medical staff or others.

In her new lawsuit, Carroll alleges that Trump committed battery when he “raped and groped her” and defamed her last month when he denied raping her.

Trump said in a statement that Carroll “completely made up this story that I met him at the door of this crowded New York department store and within minutes I ‘fooled him.’ other tricks played on me”.

Listen: Carroll explains why he waited 25 years to accuse Trump of rape (as of 2019):

current19:07Why E. Jean Carroll Waited Nearly 25 Years to Accuse Donald Trump of Sexual Assault

Last month, advice columnist E. Jean Carroll accused US President Donald Trump of sexually assaulting her in the mid-1990s. Although he denies the claim, he explains why he waited so long to do so.

Carroll’s new ability to sue Trump for rape could help him overcome a potentially fatal legal flaw in the original defamation case.

If the courts ultimately rule that Trump’s initial disparaging comments about Carroll’s rape claim were part of his job duties as president, he would be barred from suing her over those statements because federal employees are protected from defamation claims. No such defense would cover anything he did before he became president.

Judge Lewis A. Kaplan, who is presiding over Carroll’s defamation suit filed three years ago, may decide to include the new claims in the trial, which is expected to take place in the spring.

Trump’s current lawyers said this week that they do not yet know whether they will represent him against the new allegations.

Carroll’s attorney, Roberta Kaplan, who is not related to the judge, said at a hearing this week that the new allegations should not require the collection of additional evidence. He already filed a copy of the new allegations in the original case file last week. Trump and Carroll have already been removed from office.

In a statement regarding the new lawsuit, Kaplan said that his client “intends to hold Donald Trump accountable not only for defamation of him, but also for the sexual assault he committed years ago in a Bergdorf Goodman locker room.”

“Thanksgiving was the first day Ms. Carroll could file a complaint under New York law, so our complaint was filed shortly after midnight.”

Attorney Michael Madaio, Trump’s attorney, said at the hearing that the new allegations are significantly different from the original defamation suit and would require “a whole new set of evidence.”

Trump’s attorney did not return a message seeking comment Wednesday. After the lawsuit was filed less than 10 minutes into the new day, another message was sent to the lawyer seeking comment.