A Sydneysider allegedly involved in the kidnapping of a man who presented false vaccination certificates was told not to contact his brother.
A suspected Sydney kidnapper has been told not to contact his brother as he was granted bail on Thursday.
Ahmad El-Chamy, 28, has been behind bars for four months for his alleged role in the kidnapping of a man who presented false Covid-19 vaccination certificates in September 2021.
The NSW Supreme Court heard that the victim was taken to a venue in Auburn, where he was “physically abused” and subjected to “indignities”, some of which were captured on mobile phone video.
Judge Peter Johnson said the alleged motive for the crime was that the man had been paid $25,000 to produce the fake certificates, which were to be used by unvaccinated workers waiting to return to the workplace, but had “failed to comply.” with their part of the deal.” ”.
El-Chamy was charged with special aggravated taking and holding, which carries a maximum sentence of 25 years in prison.
He was granted bail subject to a long list of strict conditions, including that he not contact his brother, Bilal El-Chamy, 22, who was allegedly involved in the same offence.
“I have granted you bail, do you understand the great importance of strictly complying with the conditions of your bail?” Judge Johnson asked.
El-Chamy, appearing via video link from the Shortland Correctional Center, replied: “Yes, your honor.”
He wore a prison uniform and a wristwatch, with short hair and a short beard.
The Supreme Court of New South Wales heard that El-Chamy had a limited criminal record.
His only previous brush with the law, in February 2020, resulted in a probation order for resisting police.
The judge described El-Chamy’s father as a respected figure in his community in the Macarthur region and said the family had no significant previous relationship with criminals or illegal activities.
“The plaintiff’s father indicated that he was completely shocked by the allegations made against his two sons,” the judge said.
The court heard that two of the family’s vehicles were allegedly used during the kidnapping, although no one in the family apart from the two brothers was charged with knowledge of the crime.
Judge Johnson said the evidence against Ahmad El-Chamy was stronger than that of his younger brother, because police alleged that the 28-year-old had been captured in photographs “taken on the street at relevant times.”
The police had also alleged in a statement of facts that Ahmad El-Chamy had spoken on the phone with several people related to the incident.
The judge said that El-Chamy, who is a qualified builder and was employed at the time of the alleged offence, would be allowed to leave prison and go and stay with his aunt and uncle in Picton.
Bail conditions included that he was not to leave his home unless with them or his parents, and that he had no contact with any of the men co-defendants.
He would also not be allowed to use a smartphone and was told that he had to hand over his password and PIN code to the police if he intended to use a mobile phone.
He was also told that he would lose a $100,000 deposit if he broke any of the bail conditions.
“What would be very clear is that if he (breaks bail conditions) he will be returned to custody, with significant adverse consequences for his family,” the judge said.
El-Chamy was due to appear before the Parramatta Local Court on June 9.