Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez: WBC would back super middleweight champion in bid to retain undisputed status, says Mauricio Sulaiman | boxing news

The WBC says it will support Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez if he opts to return to super middleweight to defend his status as the division’s undisputed champion.

Canelo suffered an upset loss to Dmitry Bivol in Las Vegas earlier this month in a bid to win a world title at light heavyweight for the second time in his career.

After losing for the first time in nine years and only the second time in his career, Canelo must decide whether to return to super middleweight, where he became the undisputed champion by beating Caleb Plant in November 2021.

Bivol has suggested he could leave a division for a second fight with Canelo, while a trilogy clash with Gennadiy Golovkin could take place at 168 pounds, despite the Mexican star’s surprise setback.

When asked if the organization would support a bid from Canelo to defend his four super middleweight titles, WBC President Mauricio Sulaiman said Sky sports news: “100 percent. He is the undisputed super middleweight champion.

Canelo Alvarez is itching for a rematch with Dmitry Bivol after his loss in their light heavyweight clash on Saturday.
Image:
Canelo suffered surprise loss to Dmitry Bivol

“He asked permission to fight at light heavyweight, which was granted, and now we’ll just wait to hear what his decision will be, his plans.”

David Benavidez and David Lemieux will square off in California on Saturday night for the interim WBC super middleweight title, a fight that will put the winner in prime position to challenge at a later date for the belt Canelo currently holds.

Sulaimán added: “The WBC ordered the interim championship, which will be played this Saturday between Benevidez and Lemieux.

“So we have the activity in the division covered and, above all, continuing our open policy to try to have as many undisputed champions as possible, without interfering and losing a championship for reasons that are not fair.”

Leave a Comment