ALBANY, NY (NEWS10) – WalletHub published a study with updated rankings for the safest states during COVID-19 based on data available through Wednesday, June 22. WalletHub compared all 50 states and the District of Columbia on five key metrics and ranked them respectively.
The five key metrics that WalletHub compared the 50 states and the District of Columbia to include vaccination rate, positive test rate, hospitalization rate, death rate and level of community transmission. Each metric was rated on a 100-point scale, with a score of 100 representing the safest conditions. They then determined the weighted average of all the metrics to calculate an overall score for each state.
Top 10 safest states during COVID
- North Carolina
- South Dakota
The 10 Least Safe States During COVID
- West Virginia
- North Dakota
- New Jersey
New York’s Safety Rating During COVID
- First in vaccination rate (tied with Connecticut, District of Columbia, Massachusetts, and Pennsylvania)
- 7th for positive test rate
- Twenty-first by level of community transmission
- 25th Overall COVID Safety Ranking
- Thirty-four by death rate