Kidnapped Dominican diplomat released in Haiti

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic (AP) — A diplomat from the Dominican Republic has been freed four days after being kidnapped in neighboring Haiti, the Dominican foreign minister said Wednesday.

The minister, Roberto Álvarez, said in a tweet that Carlitín Guillén Tatis had been released “safe and sound”, although he did not give more details.

The Dominican government had said in a statement over the weekend that Guillén Tatis, the agriculture adviser at its embassy in Port-au-Prince, was apparently kidnapped on Friday while traveling to a border crossing.

Ambassador Faruk Miguel Castillo said Guillén Tatis was apparently kidnapped in the Croix-des-Bouquets district of the Haitian capital, a stronghold of the 400 Mawozo gang that kidnapped 17 people from a US missionary group in October and held most until december.

In what may have been an unrelated development, the Haitian National Police announced that one of the top leaders of the 400 Mawozo gang, Germine Joly, was extradited to the United States on Tuesday aboard an FBI plane.

He said he faces US charges related to smuggling, importing weapons of war and kidnapping.

JOIN THE CONVERSATION

Conversations are the opinions of our readers and are subject to the Code of conduct. The Star does not endorse these views.

Leave a Comment