Judge overseeing Chauvin’s civil rights case accepts plea deal – Boston News, Weather, Sports

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — The judge overseeing the federal civil rights cases of four former Minneapolis police officers in the killing of George Floyd said Wednesday he has accepted the terms of Derek Chauvin’s plea deal. and will sentence him to 20 to 25 years. in prison

Chauvin pleaded guilty on Dec. 15 to violating Floyd’s civil rights and admitted for the first time that he kept his knee on Floyd’s neck even after he became unresponsive, resulting in the black man’s death on Dec. 25. May 2020. The white former officer admitted that he knowingly deprived Floyd of his right to be free from an unreasonable seizure, including unreasonable force by a police officer.

Under the plea agreement, which Chauvin signed, both sides agreed that Chauvin should face a sentence ranging from 20 to 25 years, with prosecutors saying they would seek 25. He could have faced life in prison under the federal charge. With good time credit in the federal system, he would serve 17 years to 21 years and three months behind bars.

US District Judge Paul Magnuson deferred accepting the settlement until a pre-sentence investigation is complete. He said in a one-page warrant on Wednesday that the report had been issued, so it was now appropriate to accept the deal. He has not set a sentencing date for Chauvin.

Chauvin is already serving a 22 1/2-year sentence for his murder conviction in state court last year, though he is appealing that conviction. He would serve the federal sentence at the same time as the state sentence.

The federal plea deal means Chauvin will likely spend more time in prison than he faced under his state sentence. State prisoners in Minnesota typically serve a third of their sentence on parole, which for him would mean 15 years in prison.

Chauvin waived his right to challenge his federal conviction if Magnuson accepted the plea deal.

Magnuson also did not set sentencing dates for three other former officers who were convicted on federal civil rights charges in February. Preliminary investigations by Tou Thao, Thomas Lane and J. Alexander Kueng are still ongoing. They are scheduled to go on trial next month in state court on charges of aiding and abetting Chauvin in Floyd’s murder.

Prosecutors revealed at a pretrial hearing last month that all three had rejected plea deals on the state charges. Terms were not disclosed. Lane’s attorney, Earl Gray, said it was difficult for the defense to negotiate when the three did not yet know what their federal sentences would be.

(Copyright (c) 2022 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Join our newsletter to receive the latest news straight to your inbox

Leave a Comment