A spokesperson for the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office confirmed to CNN that the actor provided his phone to law enforcement officials in Suffolk County, New York, who assisted New York authorities. Mexico to get the device.
“They will be gathering information over the phone and providing the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office with the evidence gathered,” said Santa Fe County Sheriff’s spokesman Juan Rios.
“The Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office does not yet have physical possession of the data to be recovered from the Baldwin phone,” Rios added, but noted that “it’s in progress.”
Late last year, Baldwin told ABC’s George Stephanopoulos that the scene would show Baldwin cocking the gun and he and Hutchins explaining how she wanted to position her hand before the gun went off, then saying, “I would never point a gun at anyone, then pull the trigger.”
Aaron Dyer, Baldwin’s civil attorney, confirmed in a statement to CNN that his client voluntarily turned over his cellphone to authorities Friday morning.
“But this case is not about his phone, and there is no answer on his phone. Alec did nothing wrong. Clearly he was told it was a cold gun and that ‘He was following instructions when this tragic accident happened,’ Dyer said in the statement.
“The real question that needs to be answered is how the live rounds got to the set in the first place,” the statement added.
What officials seek
Officials are seeking to obtain messages, call logs, digital photos and videos, and any private messages sent on social media platforms in connection with the production of “Rust,” according to the warrant. It also seeks to get all the deleted videos, photos and messages on the phone related to the movie.
The actor added that any suggestion that he wouldn’t comply with the search warrant was “a lie”. In the video, he added that he is “working, insisting, demanding” the truth about what happened.
A gunsmith is suing the film’s weapons and ammunition supplier
Jason Bowles, Gutierrez Reed’s attorney, said at the time that there was a box of dummy cartridges labeled “dummy” and the gunsmith took from that box and loaded the handgun “to discover later – and she had no idea – she inspected the rounds, that there was a live round.”
“Now we don’t know, though, if that live round came from that box. We assume it did,” Bowles said.
In the lawsuit filed this month, Gutierrez Reed accuses PDQ Arm and Prop, LLC and its founder Seth Kenney of violating trade practices, false and misleading product labels, and material and false misrepresentations after, Gutierrez Reed alleges, Kenney sold him a cache of dummy ammo with live ammunition mixed in.
The complaint also includes allegations of wrongdoing by several other people involved in the production.
CNN’s Jenn Selva, Chloe Melas and Julia Jones contributed to this report.