Brazil has reported 97,986 new cases of coronavirus in the past 24 hours and 174 deaths from COVID-19, the health ministry said Thursday. The country has now recorded 22,814,917 cases since the start of the pandemic, while the official death toll has risen to 620,545, according to ministry data.
!1 new updateClick here for the latest updates
Rocket attack on US embassy in Baghdad injures child and woman, Iraqi military said in statement: Reuters
Ficci and CII focus on bed occupancy in the fight against Covid
- Industry bodies – CII and Ficci – have suggested a highly localized graduated plan for areas affected by Covid instead of a statewide strategy, which is tied to bed occupancy in hospitals. hospitals compared to the current system of restrictions that come into effect when the number of cases increases.
Mexican President Says Pandemic “Endangered” Despite Record Infections
- Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador said on Thursday he believed the pandemic was “endangered” because the Omicron variant was less severe, even as the country faces record-breaking infections of the highly contagious strain.
- Lopez Obrador drew on his own experience battling a second episode of Covid-19, saying he had only experienced mild flu-like symptoms.
- However, World Health Organization chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Wednesday that although Omicron “causes less severe disease than Delta, it remains a dangerous virus – especially for those who are not vaccinated.” .
42% of eligible adolescents received Covid-19 vaccines in the first 11 days
- More than 3.14 crore of adolescents – representing 42% of young people aged 15 to 18 – have received the first dose of Covid vaccine in about 11 days since the start of the vaccination campaign for this category on January 3. The government aims to cover around 80 to 85 percent of the estimated 7.40 crore youth in the 15 to 17 age group by the end of January.
Kerala reports 13,468 new cases, 21 deaths and 3,252 recoveries
- 96 deaths have been added to the death tally in accordance with new central government guidelines, the Kerala government said in an official statement.
Chhattisgarh reports 6,015 new cases and 7 deaths; Number of active files at 28,797
Over 5 lakhs of people watched ISKCON Bangalore celebrate Sri Vaikuntha Ekadashi on Thursday. Due to an upsurge in Covid-19 cases, the temple has been closed to the public. The festivities were broadcast live on its official website and social media platforms: ISKCON Bangalore
Covid-19: New cases at 2.6 lakh, deaths cross 200 for second consecutive day
- New cases of Covid-19 in India rose 7% to nearly 2.64 lakh on Thursday, a day after a record increase of over 50,000 pushed the day’s tally to 2.47 lakh. Deaths from the virus remained relatively low but were increasing. With Tripura data expected at the time of writing, 218 deaths were reported Thursday, the second day in a row of more than 200 deaths. The cumulative toll over the past seven days has nearly doubled to 1,096 from 562 over the previous seven days.