(CNN) – Twelve children drank floor sealant that was served instead of milk to students at a summer program in Juneau, Alaska, according to the school district.
Children in the Sitʼ Eeti Shaanáx̱-Glacier Valley Elementary School program began complaining that the milk they were served as part of Tuesday’s breakfast tasted bad and burned their mouths and throats, the Juneau School District said in a statement. release.
An outside contractor had placed the breakfast items on trays.
After the children complained, the employees “immediately continued to smell/taste the milk and look at the container/label,” the release said. “It was discovered that the ‘milk’ served was actually a liquid milk-like floor sealer. The staff immediately ordered the students to stop using the substance and removed it.”
The site manager for RALLY, the summer care program, contacted poison control and alerted parents, the release said, and “all steps provided by poison control were carefully followed.”
One student received medical treatment at a hospital and two other students were picked up from school “and may have gone to seek medical attention,” the statement said.
The condition of those students and the other nine children was not included in the statement.
RALLY offers state-licensed child care for students ages 5 to 12 and is a partnership with the Juneau School District, according to the district’s website.
An investigation into how the incident occurred is underway and includes involvement from the school district, the police department and the city, according to the statement, which did not specify who is leading the investigation.
The CNN Wire
™ & © 2022 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia company. All rights reserved.