There is “something magical” at the Casula Powerhouse Arts Center (CPAC) at night according to director Craig Donarski. And now the community can experience the magic with a variety of events throughout May and June as part of the Casula Up Late Series.
“We are delighted to receive funding from the NSW Government under the Culture Up Late Western Sydney program to bring you amazing free experiences after dark. Please look forward to seeing our arts center transformed with a great arts bar atmosphere, creating a fun and vibrant space for people to connect and bond, which is more important than ever,” said Mr. Donarski.
“She looks forward to seeing our arts center transformed with a great Art Bar vibe, creating a fun and vibrant space for people to connect and gather, which is more important than ever.”
The state government has committed more than $1 million to expand the Culture Up Late initiative to Western Sydney and support eight local cultural and arts organizations to keep their doors open late, including the Casula Powerhouse Arts Centre.
Tourism Minister Stuart Ayres said Western Sydney has some of the most “state-of-the-art and iconic” cultural venues in the world.
“…And we want to make them as accessible as possible,” Ayres said.
“Keeping its doors open later will allow more people to engage with art and culture when and how they want. It will also create more jobs and attract visitors eager to experience the best our city and state have to offer.”
Arts Minister Ben Franklin said: “Culture Up Late: Western Sydney gives locals and visitors more opportunities to enjoy everything our wonderful arts and cultural organizations have to offer, from exhibitions to events, live music , food trucks and movie screenings. There really is something for everyone.”
The Casula Up Late Series includes:
- Italian culture: A free Italian film screening, a musical performance and an art workshop where you will learn to draw and paint like the Italian masters. Bellbird Dining & Bar will offer bar food options, plus an Italian-themed custom option at 6:00 pm for those who want to dine before the movie. Dates: Friday, May 6 from 5:30 p.m. Musical performance: Joey Fimmano. Movie: interval at 7:30 p.m. Friday, June 3 from 5:30 p.m. Musical performance: Clarissa Spata, Cinema: Balancing Act at 19:30
- Galleries After Dark – Behind The Blake Award, Saturday, May 7 from 5:30 p.m.: An evening of gothic poetry, dance, experimental sound art exploring the themes of the Blake Prize. It will feature dance performances by Billy Koehavong, evolving experimental sound work by Sonya Holowell and Ben Carey, and poetry readings curated by the WestWords Center for Writing. The public will also have the opportunity to create their own work of art in the tradition of the quirky Dutch still life while enjoying a wine tasting courtesy of Bellbird Dining & Bar.
- Galleries after dark – Be different, Saturday, May 14 from 5:30 p.m.: Join CPAC as they light up the Powerhouse for an evening of culture and art with some of Sydney’s most innovative artists creating work that engages experiences of disability. Artist Debra Keenahan will share her experience of living with achondroplasia dwarfism in an interactive virtual reality artwork.Riana Head-Toussaint, choreographer and multidisciplinary artist with a disability who uses a manual wheelchair for mobility, will present a performance with multiple motors and dancers in the parking lot and entrance of the Casula Powerhouse.
- Galleries After Dark- Done On The Wall: Saturday June 4 from 17:30: This edition of Galleries After Dark coincides with the late afternoon launch of two Ken Done exhibits at CPAC. The internationally renowned physical theater company Legs on the Wall will present a performance of Easel and there will be art-making workshops and pop-up talks by community members sharing personal memories of owning a Ken Done design or artwork.
- Details: casulapowerhouse.com.