Doctors, nurses and other medical personnel who cared for soccer legend Diego Maradona are now facing trial for manslaughter, after an Argentine judge granted prosecutors’ request to advance the case against him.
Maradona died of heart failure and pulmonary edema in November 2020. He had been recovering from brain surgery, but instead of being in a hospital, he was recovering in a house in suburban Buenos Aires, and prosecutors say the Maradona’s doctors and other caregivers should have. he knew he was in danger, and did more to save him.
The defendants are the neurosurgeon Leopoldo Luciano Luque, the psychiatrist Agustina Cosachov, the psychologist Carlos Ángel Díaz, the home care coordinator Nancy Edith Forlini, the nursing coordinator Mariano Ariel Perroni, the nurses Ricardo Omar Almiron and Dahiana Gisela Madrid, and the doctor Clinician Pedro Pablo Di Spagna.
Several of the defendants have publicly denied being responsible for Maradona’s death. Luque, who was the football great’s personal physician, has insisted he had little to do with Maradona’s ongoing care in the weeks before his death.
In May, Luque’s lawyers said that two companies, Medidom and Swiss Medical, were in charge of the home hospitalization, which was initially aimed at helping Maradona overcome his addiction to alcohol.
Questions about the circumstances of Maradona’s death at age 60 prompted a search of Luque’s office and the formation of a 20-member medical panel to investigate. They determined that he died after exhibiting symptoms during a “prolonged period of agony” that should have caused alarm.
Prosecutors said Maradona died after “an unprecedented, totally flawed and reckless hospitalization at home,” as Buenos Aires Times reports.
Judge Orlando Díaz issued your order on Wednesday, the same day Argentine fans were marking the 36th anniversary of Maradona’s famous “Hand of God” goal to defeat England during the 1986 World Cup championship race.
The jersey Maradona wore that day recently sold at auction for more than $9 million.